REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS: Mural for the City of Sanford Public Arts Committee as part of the Lee County Arts Trail
Mural Art Initiative
The City of Sanford Public Art Sub-Committee (appointed by the Appearance Commission of the City of Sanford) is currently accepting proposals from artists interested in creating commissioned public art murals in Downtown Sanford. This project is one of several public art initiatives aimed at enriching the Downtown Sanford experience for visitors and stakeholders in Downtown.
The Appearance Commission Public Art Sub-Committee will review proposals and make a recommendation to the Appearance Commission. The mural shall also be approved by the building owner and family if needed.
The goals of the Mural Sub-Committee are to:
- Beautify public areas in downtown which attract heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Visually promote the benefit of the arts throughout the City of Sanford and Lee County.
- Use art as a landmark to visually connect visitors to public spaces and parking areas.
- To educate visitors and citizens alike of the rich history of the City of Sanford and Lee County as a whole.
About the Project
- The project budget includes the artist(s) labor fee, surface preparation, mural protection/maintenance plan, supplies, travel-related expenses and other associated costs.
- Surface Preparation may include power washing the surface, removing chipping paint, priming the wall, etc.
- The artist will be required to apply a protective coating once the mural is completed. The medium used must be durable and able to withstand minor wear and tear and harsh outdoor elements for at least five years.
- The subject matter for said mural is the Tobacco artists or artists raised in Lee County will be considered.
- The location for the Tobacco Mural is the south facing wall on the Sanford Rent-All Building 526 Wicker Street, Sanford, NC 27330 (Attachment A.) the surface is unpainted brick.
- The 526 wicker Street location encompasses approximately 796 square feet and is 37 feet long and approximately 21.5 feet tall. The mural shall cover the entire existing unpainted brick wall surface.
- The mural will serve as a visual landmark and should be distinctive through the use of design, color, etc. Only original art will be considered.
- The design will be suitable and acceptable for public viewing of all ages.
- The mural must be completed by July 30 2018 (weather dependent.)
Artists interested in creating a work of public art should submit the following materials by February 22, 2018, 5:00 pm to be considered:
- The project budget is not to exceed $12,000.00 for one mural by an artist or team of collaborative artists
- A narrative of the concept for the mural, including supplemental information such as medium, and approximate dimensions of the proposed mural. The narrative should convey the artistic content, colors, style of work etc.
- A scaled rendering of the proposed mural.
- Itemized budget
- Timetable (the mural is to be completed by June 30, 2018, weather dependent)
- Wall preparation plan
- Mural Protection/Maintenance plan
- Resume, contact information and artist statement
- Support material such as examples of other works and/or reviews of similar work. Examples should describe size, materials, cost and location of other public works.
- The proposed narrative must be printed one-sided on 8 ½ x 11 paper with no sheet protectors, etc. Provide a rendering of the proposal no larger than 8 1/2 by 14.
- A to scale hand rendering of the project shall be submitted as part of the proposal that must be suitable for framing (acrylic, oil, chalk, etc.)
- Feel free to submit a 3 dimensional mural proposal.
All proposals must be submitted no later than February 22, 2018, 5:00 pm to:
City of Sanford
c/o Elizabeth Whitmore 115 Chatham Street
Sanford, NC 27330
If you have any questions please contact staff liaison Liz Whitmore at 919-718-4657 extension 5393 or email@example.com.