Transportation Signage & Signals

Street Lights

On City-maintained streets, the City coordinates with the power companies to provide adequate street lighting, including decorative lighting.

A street light is also required on a dead-end street that is more than 200 feet long and on all cul-de-sacs. Additionally, the City may install street lights  if such lighting is needed in sharp curves that may create a safety hazard for motorists.

To report a light outage, call 919-775-8247 with the pole number and location information or call Duke Energy directly at 800-452-2777.

Street Name Markers

The City fabricates, repairs, maintains, and installs all existing street name markers located within the city limits of Sanford.

Street name markers for new streets in the City limits must be purchased by the developer. For City streets that will be maintained/owned by the City of Sanford, street markers can be purchased from the City by calling 919-777-1207.

To report a damaged or missing sign, call the Public Works Service Center at 919-775-8247.

Traffic Signals

The City owns and maintains four traffic signals located at the intersections of:

  • Charlotte and Oakwood
  • Gulf and Wicker
  • Oakwood and Bragg
  • Vance and Wicker

To report a malfunctioning light or crosswalk maintained by the City, call the Public Works Service Center at 919-775-8247. For maintenance on state owned traffic signals, call NCDOT Traffic Services at 910-947-3930.

Traffic Signs

The City installs and maintains traffic signs on City maintained streets that meet requirements of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUCTD) and the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT).

The City removes site distance obstructions, which are objects that substantially block the sufficient vision of drivers, such as limbs. To avoid sign pollution, the city only erects traffic signs that are necessary to provide a safe travel environment for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists.

For more information or to report a site distance problem, call the Public Works Service Center at 919-775-8247.