City of Sanford, NC


How do I pay my water bill?

- Mail in your payment to:
City of Sanford
P.O. Box 63060
Charlotte, NC 28263-3060

Be sure to include your bill stub.

- Pay by credit or Debit card. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Please call 919-777-1190 or stop by the office to make payment.

- Electronic Draft: Complete the electronic draft form and your water and sewer bill will be set up to be drafted on your due date each month.

- Night Drop Box: Located in the circular drive at the back of the building. Any payments placed in this box after 5 p.m. will be credited the following business day. Please pay with check or money order, as the city is not responsible for cash payments left in the night drop box.

- Make your payment in person:
City of Sanford Municipal Building
225 E Weatherspoon Street
Sanford, NC 27330

- Online: We now offer online bill pay. You will need your Account Number and Customer ID located on your bill to log onto the bill pay system. Visit the

Why are some streets and ditches in the city limits not maintained by the City of Sanford?

The City of Sanford houses city-maintained and state-maintained streets. The state-maintained streets are generally the larger streets with a greater volume of traffic that carry traffic through the city. City streets are generally lower in volume. These streets may funnel traffic into larger state-maintained streets or carry traffic around town. The Street Division works only on city-maintained streets while the Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) is responsible for maintenance on state-maintained streets. The Street Division does however make utility patches for water and sewer repairs on state-maintained streets.

How do I report a street light issue?

To report a street light outage (i.e. street light out, light cycling on/off, damage to globe, etc), call Public Works at (919) 775-8247 with pole number and exact location of street light or call Duke Energy Progress directly at 1-800-452-2777.

Who do I call if I have a question about my water or sewer bill?

Please call Billing & Collections Department at 919-775-8215 or email

How do I apply for a business license?

The City of Sanford issues Beer/Wine Licenses, Peddlers/Itinerant Merchant Licenses, Special Events/Festivals, and Taxi Licenses. Please see the link for detailed instructions.

More Information

How do I get an incident report from the Police Department?

Welcome to the Sanford Police Department’s Police to Citizen (P2C) website. You can print copies of Accident Reports, Arrests, and Incident Reports you have filed with our department. Be sure to have the case number available that was given to you as this is how you will retrieve your report. Please allow up to 48 hours for report to appear online.

P2C Website

Is urban archery allowed in Sanford?

The City of Sanford does participate in urban archery.

Hunting is only allowed on a tract or parcel of land which is three or more acres. Tracts or parcels of land may not be combined or pooled to meet this requirement. No bow may be discharged unless the hunter is located 100 feet or more within the property line. The 100-foot buffer within each property line is an area in which no hunting may occur.

Hunters must follow all state and local laws, rules and ordinances when hunting deer within the city limits, and they must have in their possession a valid North Carolina Hunting License showing completion of a Hunting Safety Course.

More Information

How do I report a water or sewer issue after hours?

The City of Sanford's customer service department is available to answer questions during regular business hours, which are 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on weekdays.

If you have a water or sewer issue outside of those hours, you can call 919-775-8268. This line is answered by the Sanford Police Department and will be routed to the correct on-call Public Works employee.

How do I know if my street is maintained by the City or by NCDOT?

Ownership of Public Roads

Public roads in Sanford are owned and maintained by either the City of Sanford or the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). Knowing the entity that owns a particular street or road helps in knowing where and how to report maintenance issues.

Who Maintains the Roads?

What are the hours for the fountain at Depot Park?


The fountain at Depot Park runs May through October each year. The fountain runs on the following schedule:

  • 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
  • 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
  • 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  • 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

The bathroom facilities at the park are only opened when the park is rented for a private event. To rent the park, contact Downtown Sanford, Inc.

For more information about the fountain and its maintenance, contact the Public Works Service Center at 919-775-8247.

What is the City of Sanford's tax rate?

The City of Sanford’s tax rate for fiscal year (FY) 2020-21 is $0.60 per $100 assessed valuation, which is revenue neutral. Taxes for residents living in Sanford’s city limits are collected by Lee County Government. The annual operating budget for the City of Sanford is posted here. 

Sanitation Fee

Sanford City Council approved a $40 increase to the annual sanitation fee for FY 2020-21 to offset increases in the cost of providing recycling services. The fee for FY 2020-21 is now $310 per household. 

Vehicle Fee

The FY 2018-19 budget added a $30 vehicle fee for every vehicle and trailer registered within the municipal city limits. This fee is applied to the maintenance of City-owned streets, including resurfacing, patching, and other necessary repairs. This fee was included on motor vehicle tax bills generated after July 1, 2018. The fee has not changed for FY 2020-21. 

Note: The fee is only for maintenance of streets owned by the City of Sanford. It does not cover maintenance or repairs for the streets owned by the N.C. Department of Transportation. Here’s more information about the ownership of public roads.

For more information about the City’s tax rate or fees, contact the City of Sanford’s Financial Services Department at 919-777-1138.

When does the City of Sanford display United States flags at intersections?

The City of Sanford displays United States flags at the intersections of highly trafficked roads to observe several holidays.

Flags are displayed on:

  • Martin Luther King Day
  • Presidents Day
  • Armed Forces Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Flag Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Patriot Day
  • Columbus Day
  • Election Day
  • Veterans Day

Flags will be displayed at these intersections:

  • Broadway Road and Nash Street (3 flags)
  • Broadway Road and Rosser Road (3)
  • Main Street and Horner Blvd (4)
  • Main Street and Dalrymple Street (4)
  • Main Street and Lee Avenue (4)
  • Main Street and Woodland Avenue (4)
  • Every stop light from Horner Blvd and Bragg Street to Horner Blvd and Hall Avenue  (4 each)

For more information, contact the Public Works Service Center at 919-775-8247.