Street Closure Procedures
1. 60 days prior to an event, the following must be submitted:
A. Letter to the Street Division requesting the street closure with all details including: Date, Time, Place, Contact Information, and Purpose/Intent. A map should also be attached. Citizen requesting street closure must have talked with all property owners affected by street closure and this should be stated in the letter of request.
B. A Certificate of Liability must accompany the letter of request before approval can be given. This cannot be a request or application for insurance. It must contain the following information:
a. Certificate must include the following information:
- Name of insured
- Event Location/date
- City of Sanford names as “additional insured”
- Correct City address (225 E. Weatherspoon St.)
- Signature of authorized representative
- Additional page showing how to collect (attached)
b. Certificate can be faxed to Kris Furmage at (919)776-0265 or emailed to email@example.com
c. City representative will forward a copy to Risk Management for approval
C. Application for Permit for Special Events. It must be filled out completely and returned to the Police Station for approval.
2. If state maintained street is part of the request, citizen requesting street closure must fill out NCDOT Special Event Request form and return to Street Division. A City representative will then contact NC DOT for their approval.
3. If event will include any streets to be closed in downtown Sanford you must contact Jennifer St. Clair with Downtown Sanford Inc for approval at (919) 718-4659 ext. 1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org
4. ALL street closures must be presented to City Council for approval. Temporary Resolutions (including a map) will be put together and submitted by engineering dept.
5. After all departments/City Council have made their approvals, “Inventory Loan Agreements” must be filled out by at the Street Division office by a responsible person of the requesting party. Barricades, cones, and other necessary traffic devices must then be made available for the street closure.